Monday, August 22, 2011

All At Sea Playlist

There are some days, usually Sunday afternoons, or sometimes after work, when all I want to do is shut myself in my room with a glass of Glenlivet, close the blinds, switch off my phone and be "All at sea" with music and my thoughts.
If you know what I'm talking about, or you're just looking for some good music, here are five tracks that definitely ought to be on your playlist:

Statutory Warning: Please do not listen to this list if you're not in a mood to get slightly depressed!!

1) Jamie Cullum - All at sea (Obviously): This is my absolute go-to song. I wake up to this song as my alarm and it's usually the last thing I play at night. Jamie's piano playing is flawless, as always, and the lyrics get me nodding along, thinking 'yes, this makes so much sense'.



2) Paolo Nutini - Autumn leaves: This track is hauntingly beautiful. Written by Paolo about his grandfather, you'd seriously have to be a monster to not get emotional when you hear this song! It never ceases to surprise me how his voice seems to belong to someone from the Sinatra era, I can imagine him crooning away at a dingy jazz pub, then smoking cubans and drinking all night long with his band mates.



3) Norah Jones - Don't know why: A breath-taking beauty with a voice to match (even surpass, perhaps), Miss Jones is a classic choice for this list. This particular song takes me to a sultry Sunday afternoon spent reminiscing about lost love, lost opportunities and lost friends.



4) Foo Fighters - Home: This song is a relatively recent addition. It's the final track off their 2007 album 'Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace' (make sure you check it out). I've been a Ghrol fan since his Nirvana days and honestly, his talent always leaves me completely in awe of him. Ghrol's usually gruff voice takes a peaceful tone on this track and the soulful melody (the violin, the piano, such sheer bliss!) is just what the doctor ordered when you want to miss home, and generally feel humbled.



5) Jamie Cullum - Gran Torino: To complete the circle, and also because he's so awesome, I'm back to Jamie. Gran Torino is an old-world song, it's got a nice, clear, piano root accompanied by Jamie's honest voice. It takes me away into a classic movie full of suits, big cars, cigars, bitter dreams, and somehow, a very skewed, yet real, reality (I haven't seen Gran Torino, the movie, by the way, I've heard it's good though). For me, this really is the perfect 'alone' (not 'lonely') song.



There you have it, hope you found some new and interesting music on that list, or just re-discovered your old favourites. Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions for this list!

No comments:

Post a Comment